Feed on
Posts
Comments

Please join the Antiquarian and Historical Society this Saturday, October 19th for a Historic Hayride and Moonlight Paddle.  The Historic Hayrides will be from 4:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. and will begin and end at the Culver Depot.  Jeff Kenney will narrate the hayrides with interesting facts of Culver’s past. The Moonlight Paddle will be [...]

Read Full Post »

Lakes don’t want to be lakes.  They were created by nature.  Over time, if not protected, sediment plants and debris will fill them in, and make them land once more. -          Jody Arthur, Indiana Dept. of Enviromental Management (2009)   The Lake Maxinkuckee Environmental Council has been working in our community for over three decades [...]

Read Full Post »

Get ready for an exciting evening of Hoagy Carmichael music Saturday, June 8th, at the Culver Academy Legion Building at 7:30 p.m. The evening features hit song renditions by none other than Hoagy’s son, Randy Carmichael. The younger Carmichael has been delighting audiences for decades, keeping his father’s musical legacy alive. The show takes it’s title [...]

Read Full Post »

Ask any long-time Culver citizen about Warner Williams, and you’ll probably hear a description of an eccentric man riding around town on his bicycle, his long beard flying behind him. Others may recall the geodesic dome he constructed in his back yard, out of from which he churned out countless plaster animal sculptures following his [...]

Read Full Post »

By Jeff Kenney:  Citizen editor Not long ago, Jim Dewitt was in the Culver post office when the topic of the beloved tenderloins he served at the Lake Shore Lanes bowling alley between 1953 and 1978 came up. Soon, various folks in line were speaking up in favor of their favorite menu item, and the [...]

Read Full Post »

A fun time was had by all on Saturday, September 15th when the Antiquarians visited Child’s Farm just north of Culver.  There was laughter and friendly competition between the men and women as butter was churned by both parties to see who could make the best looking butter.  The discussions still continues on that subject [...]

Read Full Post »

On Dec. 28, 1985, the Maxinkuckee Village lost one of the last vestiges of its formerly active business community, the Manor Market at the northeast corner of East Shore Drive and 18B Road, to fire. The market, known in the 1930s as Van’s, changed its name to R & J circa 1947. Apartments were also [...]

Read Full Post »

At least as far back as the 1950s — if not earlier — Santa Claus helped kick off the Christmas season each December by arriving in town on a Culver fire truck, often greeting children at the annual children’s Christmas party at the station afterwards.

Read Full Post »

Culver Military Academy’s Trunk Room began its life as theTabernacle for the chautauqua hotel Henry Harrison Culver built at the site of today’s Main Barracks, for the 1889 chautauqua season (famous evangelist T. Dewitt Talmage spoke there). It became the Culver Military Academy gymnasium when the school was started in 1894, and the school’s dining [...]

Read Full Post »

Then known as the Gignilliat cottage — for Culver Military Acaemy superintendent L.R. Gignilliat — and later as the Superintendent’s Home, all but the first floor of this late 19th century structure burned in a March 25, 1918 fire, though there was time to save most of the furniture and belongings from the flames. The [...]

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »